Thursday, June 9, 2011

C++ Interpreters - Part 1: Discovering

I was on a search for C/C++ Interpreters. Why I want an interpreter when I can compile my code for faster speed? The answer is I trying to embedding a script engine insider an application, so that the application can extend its function by execute loadable scripts. C/C++ interpreter may be a good choice to perform such functions. Since, I don't need to learn any new language.  But seem like there are only a limited choice for me.


I have found so far are CINT, Ch and UnderC. Seem only CINT and Ch are an active development.  I previously had tried out Ch with limit success, mostly due to its a paid product without the exact feature I wanted.

Other choice that I can have include JavaScript and Basic. JS seem to be a better choice out there, there are a handful of them around compare to C/C++.  I have previously using SpiderMonkey for few of my projects with good successes.

My requirements are:
  1. The interpreter is a linkable library for use it with in an application.
  2. Low memory profile
  3. The interpreter can utilize the function/methods inside my application.
  4. Nice to have the interpreter support in system debugging
  5. Support STL library
  6. Come with rich libraries support  (not all standard system library may used by interpreter)

The next step is to continue my Part 2 - evaluate and feature compare.

No comments:

Post a Comment